Friday, December 18, 2009

Lots of updates

I've been really busy lately, so my chocolate oatmeal stout and Athena's honey brown ale have been sitting on secondary for three weeks or so.  In that time, I ordered the hardware/plumbing for the keezer and came up with a more conventional (cheaper) design and Athena even picked up her own Corny keg.

Keezer Hardware:
  • Perlick Stainless Faucets with handles (x3)
  • 4" Stainless Steel Shanks (x3)
  • CO2 and Beer Hoses (12' of each)
Lid Materials:
  • 3/4" Oak
  • 1/4" Furniture-grade Plywood
  • 2" Mold-resistant Styrofoam Insulation
  • Weather Stripping
I got to hang out with my dad for the better part of a Sunday afternoon building the lid and staining it.  Later that week I sealed it with a couple coats of polyurethane coating, installed the insulation, and got it mounted to the freezer.

Athena came home today with her keg and I got my drip tray and rubber shelf mats in the mail.  We siphoned both beers into their respective kegs, slowly brought the pressure up to 30PSI while aerating over the coarse of about 30 minutes, then let them chill while we went shopping for dinner.  We cooked up some rib eyes with mashed potatoes and sauteed veggies just in time for our beers to get cold and fizzy.

Nothing like a home cooked meal with a home brewed beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment